PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Libyan mission racked up $11M in hotel bills
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 22:55
Gullwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I expected the usual RAF crowd to leap straight back with their typical automatic dismissive pro-RAF defensive statements and distractions. Hopefully the true neutrals out there can read what I and the linked magazine article have said and make their own judgements.

I know nothing about your Senior Officers incident in Muscat but no doubt if the circumstances mentioned are correct then they may well be very valid and understandable in that particular example? However, I am also very familiar with both military and civil aviation Flight Safety in many different aspects and organisations, and not just a one service background. Whilst of course nice hotels, lovely recreation facilities and quality sleep are obviously good for aviation Safety it is not always essential for everyone. Many other forces personnel are used to working and living in very hazardous environments for extremely long periods without the provision or need for such hotels to do their critical jobs safely, effectively and efficiently.

Everyone wants the best that they can get from their employers but the RAF generally appear to always expect and get more than the other UK forces. Good luck to them but at a time of such big cuts there should be a much more level playing field for everyone and that may also help the RAF lose it’s pampered image which whether you like it or not it has had for a long time now.

As for not really needing to properly train using field type living conditions, not every conflict that this country faces may always be so one-sided that hotels can always be relied on in the future, just because of our recent conflict/war experiences. As we all know, military airfield facilities and power supplies are some of the first things to get taken out during wars. One day we may be on the receiving end of such attacks, but I certainly hope not as the RAF fixed wing guys may not be used to living and working in such harsh conditions!