PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Libyan mission racked up $11M in hotel bills
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 21:17
Chris Griffin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I'll bite.

"If you do not like aircraft noise, mosquitos, tents, going away from home (unless you have a nice hotel) and must have top notch Health & Safety conditions, then you really should not be in the armed forces".

Whatever conditions we are happy to contend with is realistically not a decision for us to make. We have to abide by rules and regs dictated to us such as retrospectively being hit for field living conditions which meant we all had to pay back a few hundred pounds for the privilege of being on OPS. Do you honestly think a mere SO2 can say to ACC "sorry sunshine but there's no HOTAC so I dont think we'll be playing today". If the army chaps decided tents would happen, we would have lived in tents - simples.

The naivete of some posting on this thread is truly breathtaking. In aviation there are specific rules which determine what is safe and acceptable practice in peacetime and during conflict. All we require is sufficient amenities to do our job. I too was in Muscat when those words were uttered, but the fact remains would you want someone who has had no rest for 24-48 hrs flying you or your chaps back to the UK with a/c tech snags and especially poor weather? If your answer is yes then you are a fool and a danger to those around you.

"All in this together" is not sufficient reason to put lives at risk, and shows an inherent unwillingness to understand the roles the RAF undertakes and the peculiar risks associated with them. Leave aviation to those that understand it.