PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2012, 17:21
Danny42C

Cannanore, aka "Kannur"'

Chugalug,

I must have another look at the Google Sat-map to see if I can find this runway 34 and "H" pad. For a military establishment of this size it would certainly make much sense to have a small strip to cater for VIPs in Auster-sized things. And 16/34 is parallel to the shoreline, so it couldn't be a bit of my old one.

So I must stick to my estimate of somewhere between 05/23 and 07/25 (didn't we know ?). In my log I have a couple of very poor prints shot by a "Box Brownie" ?, from turning-in on finals position (will put them on Post if I can ever work out how to do it - and yes, I still keep safe the excellent instructions you sent me months ago).

These shots show the strip normal to the cliff edge, tucked-in close to the Fort. There are clearly two white lines across the strip, I would guess 1000 ft from each end. What on earth were they ? I have no recollection of ever seeing them before (the Carlstrom Field syndrome again !)

My only guess: they indicated the limits of the monsoon drains at the sides - after landing you had to pass the line before turning off. Sounds reasonable ? So what use was the one at the West end, when we never landed that way ?

The old cantonment buildings from the 20s were solid laterite and will last for ever. I don't doubt that they have been incorporated in the present much enlarged layout. Most of the maidan has been swallowed up by sports field and trees.

I agree with you about the sparrows-on-a-line sanitary arragements, but when you've no option........!

Danny.

angels,

Yes, Jimmie Reid was quite a colourful character, but he ran a fine line playing that trick on his Govan workmates ! (I bet he never confessed to it until he was safely in the House of Commons).

I never found a Mae West hard to put on, but it was hot under your harness. If I'd been your Dad, I'd do the same over water in a Dak - but I'd keep it in arm's reach all the time !

Danny.

Fareastdriver,

I didn't know the Indian Navy kept the B-24s going as long as that. Whose subs could they have been looking for then - Pakistan's ? (The Russians would have been on-side then).

I vaguely remember Juhu (Santa Cruz ?). Didn't it have a sea wall, and didn't something (a Constellation ?) plough into it one time ?

Danny.

Thank you all for the interest which is the lifeblood of this Thread.

Danny42C