PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Banning Genghis the Engineer
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2012, 09:30
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banning Genghis the Engineer

The thread asking where is Genghis the Engineer had an explanation added to it by Pprune Towers explaining at least in outline what has happened to GTE, and then the thread was locked.

Before learning from Pprune Towers what had happened, I had assumed that GTE’s absence was of his own choosing and posted appropriately on that thread. However now that I’ve learnt from Pprune Towers that GTE’s absence is enforced and not of his own choosing I feel the need to express my dismay at the decision.

I have only met GTE once. That was earlier this year at the Pprune flyin that HE organised. However I don’t think you need to have met him to know that he is an extremely nice person. His post here have always been well mannered and professional, and whatever it is that has happened, it seems extremely unlikely given his character that being banned is the appropriate solution.

This forum, private flying is the second most popular forum on this site by posts. It’s second only to Jet Blast. That’s not bad for a private flight forum on a Professional Pilots site!

The reason it’s so popular is in my opinion because of the quality of a small number of posters, who freely give their time and expertise. There are many willing to give their time, but only a small number who have the expertise and are willing to share it consistently with others here.

I would say that the number of those people who have exceptional expertise, the time to share it and are willing to share it on a consistent basis on this forum is probably in or around 10.

GTE is one of those 10 people. His absence is a major loss.

It should be remembered that without these people who attract other users, Private Flying forum, and Pprune itself is nothing more than an empty website. If these people don’t post here Pprune has no attraction for other users, and thus no attraction for advertisers, and quickly dies. From the postings on the other thread, it looks like if GTE goes some of the other major contributors also go in sympathy. That would be a major loss, not just for the rest of us users, but also Pprune itself.

I would simply like to express my dismay at the situation, and do so here because I can’t do so on the other thread which was locked.

I appreciate that Pprune Towers will probably delete or lock this thread, but I ask him not to. This thread is not asking for an explanation, it’s not criticising Pprune nor demanding anything. It’s simply a place where the ordinary members of this forum can express our upset with what has happened and the loss that we feel has befallen our forum. The members of Private Flying need somewhere to express that, because we can’t do so on a locked thread.

dp

ps. By the way I think it’s wrong that Pprune Towers used GTE’s real name on the other thread. That should be removed. GTE never used his real name on this forum and it shouldn’t be disclosed by another moderator on his behalf.