PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia's plans for 2012
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2012, 21:38
virginexcess

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post
What do readers think about the continued involvement of the 777 at VA? I understand that there will be 6 more 330's arriving next year, and eventually they will cover both domestic and international.
Good question. In the short term it hinges around VA's presence on the Pacific. The 777 is far and away the best aircraft for that route, and it is beyond the capability of an A330 so as long as the Pacific stays on VA metal, the 777 is safe in the short term.

Different story once 787's start arriving. If they get the -9's which are capable of flying the pacific non-stop comfortably, the smaller size may be a better fit for Virgin as it has trouble filling the ER's ex Mel and Bne on a daily basis. The 78 would make it easier to go daily from those cities.

AUH also an issue. That is beyond the capability of an A330, so unless Etihad decide to take over all the flights to AUH, then the tripler will be required there also. Again, only until 787's are ordered.

I saw recently on another post a boeing statement that the 777X will make the A350-1000 obsolete, so I am starting to place a greater weighting on the liklihood of 787's over A350's. The only sticking point is that the 777X is not slated for introduction until the end of the decade, but Tim Clark is pushing for 2017. I'd place a small wager Clark will get his way.