PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2012, 11:14
Chugalug2

Received 221 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi Danny. First apologies for going AWOL from the thread. I throw myself on the mercy of the court. Second, I've pm'd Pprune Pop, requesting he uses his "special powers" to get Regle back on board. I'll pm you with any news, unless of course Pop or Reg himself update us on thread.
So now you have your own command, and still a JO! A lesson for the modern RAF perhaps, where Flight Lieutenants do not command flights, nor Squadron Leaders squadrons, Wing Commanders wings, Group Captains....well you get the drift. The purpose of the Flight is also a sharp reminder of the weapons of mass destruction so rarely mentioned in WW2 history, yet so preoccupied everyone's fears at the time, ie chemical and biological agents. We were ready to deploy both on a large scale should the invasion of Britain have happened. The Japanese did of course resort to it, and refined its use by using it on POWs (mainly Chinese). I have no doubt they would also have used it if they had in turn suffered invasion, so you were embarked on vital work. The Cape Anti-Gas was still around when I was in the CCF, doubling as a ground sheet and a rain cape by then. Evidently when I was very young I carried my packed lunch to School in an ex gas mask case, but I must have been very young as I do not remember doing so. What was for sure was that it would have once been carried everywhere one went containing the gas mask that had to be donned the moment the words "gas, gas, gas" or the sound of a "footballer's" rattle were heard. All now as remote as the concept of "Duck and Cover" of course...
Oops, just spotted my mistake, I should have said Fred not Reg of course, apologies!

Last edited by Chugalug2; 15th Sep 2012 at 11:31.