PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tarom 371 Crash '95
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2012, 18:45
Radu Poenaru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been a really long time since the accident, and I can't seem to find the final report anywhere on the net anymore (it was available, I have read it entirely a few years ago).

I distinctly remember this pre-existing condition with the async thrust levers, and how Airbus had issued a memo about this just shortly before the accident. All I can seem to find right now is a quote from the lead investigator in this article:

Remember Balotesti - Pe Dumnezeu a cazut toata vina | Jurnalul National

Maneta din dreapta a intarziat din cauza ca avea o frecare in lagar (n.r. - cutia de viteze a avionului), iar cea din stanga a continuat in mod liber sa se retraga. Pilotii stiau ca manetele de control aveau o problema, o rezolvau de fiecare data, asa ca nu aceasta a fost cauza accidentului
Which roughly translated says:
The right thurst lever lagged behind because of a friction problem(on the clutch), while the left thrust lever continued to move backwards. The pilots were aware that the thrust levers had a problem, they were fixing it every time, so this was not the cause of the accident.
The final report had some more info on this, including the "fixing method" of moving the damaged thrust lever nr.2 by hand to match the nr.1

Gosh, I wish I could find that final report again!