PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar CEO Interview
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2012, 11:32
AEROMEDIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The family thing whilst a move in the right direction is probably in the wrong industry. Aviation is 24/7/365 and I take it that the work flexibility won't be extended to those at the coalface.
That's right. That's what she negotiated from the start with Joyce. If what she says is true, then she will be relying heavily on others to pick up the slack at the times she picks and chooses for family reasons.
While this is VERY fortunate, and I have to say commendable to put the family first, it clearly shows the lack of judgement Joyce has when selecting a CEO for Jetstar.
I don't think this is a "must have a woman" thing or a control thing. I think it shows Joyce's decision making process is continually flawed at critical times. There MUST have been other candidates with their hand up for this that were equally skilled and able to provide more commitment.
He gave her a couple of months to think about heading up an organisation, meaning "I have plans for you" and then offered her the big one knowing her limitations due to family commitments. Even waited for her to talk it over with her husband whose predictable response was "What! you didn't take it straight away!
I don't think that there are many jobs in this world that you can show self doubt at the interview and still get the job.
On the surface,I think that she is capable of doing a great job of CEO if she was more committed, but if she wasn't prepared to make the sacrifices and at least turn up for the Roadshow presentation, then less than 100% is not good enough.

What were you thinking Alan Joyce?