View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2012, 17:35
mikelimapapa

Sas,

Very well said, you make some excellent points. I've only been doing it for 2 years, but like you said, it is very much a love hate relationship.

I love the fact that my job affords me the money and time off to travel and see the world. Who else gets 24 weeks of holiday per year? And company paid airfare? And as you said, the characters in this business are as diverse as the countries that they come from. I have found quite often that one night in the pub, you can have the most interesting and random conversations and immediately have a mate for life. Plus, since the people come from all over, a great way to travel is to visit your coworkers in you time off, saves on accommodation and you get to see their country from a local's perspective.

But as you said, I also find offshore flying to be quite dull; normal T/O, straight and level, steep approach, all day every day. And dealing with the locals takes a bit of time to get used to, you just have to accept the fact that western logic does not apply in most of these places. Lots of company politics, hassle with traveling at all hours of the night and often on short notice are all the downsides of the business.

Right now, for me, the upside far outweighs the down. But I am 28 and single, and have seen and done more in the last 2 years than most people experience in a lifetime. I'm sure at some point I will get sick of it and go back to a "normal" job.

Cheers,
Mike