PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statins - miracle or menace?
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2012, 07:30
gingernut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hugh flung, it's a little difficult to give specific advice to someone via this forum.

I'm imagining that you've been prescribed pravastatin for a very good reason, (ie you've suffered some type of "event" already), as pravastatin isn't generlly used in primary prevention. It is important that you communicate your concerns to your docs.

My comment about pouring the stuff in the water does have to be taken with a pinch of salt, statins have been associated with serious side effects, muscle damage and liver damage being the ones that spring to mind.

I'm involved with statin prescribing/monitoring on a daily basis, and whilst I've seen the benefits of statin prescribing, (ie less people dropping dead or becoming disabled through stroke and heart disease), I don't think I've ever come across a case of statin induced muscle damage or liver problems.

Having said that, it is important to differentiate between a side effect, (eg aching legs) and disease (eg rhabdomyolysis), and your clinician should, hopefully have monitoring systems in place to detect these.

I haven't the expertise to answer your question about the nature of the atherosclerosis, but in a way, it's of secondary importance, as the outcome (ie reduction of risk of further "event") is more important than the process behind it. (We know it works, were not quite sure how.)

Statin use does prevent stroke. CVA and lipids - General Practice Notebook

As ever, patient choice reigns, its our job to give the facts as accurately as we can given the knowledge we have at the time. (It may all change again next week!).

Good health,

ginge.