PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK helicopter schools (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2003, 00:04
Hoverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve
I was only trying to help smyers, didn't think it would get as involved as this. Maybe naieve of me.
I wouldn't say what I've said about HeliJet without good reason based on personal knowledge and what I've been told by people in the industry whose opinions I value and trust. (Not the gossip types we all know and love.)
Let's be blunt. It's no skin off my nose what smyers or anybody else does with their money, but Rotorheads is a superb forum and if we can help beginners or anybody else asking for advice I think we should.
It's right you and I disagreed on one thread in the past. I'd forgotten that and I assure you that's nothing to do with the opinion I expressed about HeliJet. I didn't even connect you with Coney Park until you responded to my post. We've met several times over the years and I willingly agree you've alwasy given "a warm welcome and as much help as possible". I've also watched you fly and would happily be flown by you. I don't dislike anybody who works at Heli-Jet.

Let's get one thing straight. I'm not mixing HeliJet up with the previous owners at Coney Park. I'm a Yorkshire lad, I've known the place since it first started and I remember when Mike Thorpe took it over. I would happily have recommended the place to anybody when the previous owner had it. The instructors were good and I occasionally hired helis. I've even got two of your original B206s in my logbook, BTFY and RAMI, and a one off in MRSN. Remember them?
In case you doubt, I remember MS there for a short time in the early days, and AP as CFI. JS was a good lad and I heard was a good instructor (when his mind was on the job). I remember MG arriving, good instructor by all accounts and one of the nicest people I've met in aviation. Landed one of the best jobs in aviation after NH folded. Lucky b*gger.
Almost forgot Tommy with funny double barrel name. Stuck in a time warp, but a character. You've been there for more years than I can remember, and I think the only one whose stayed on since Mike Thorpe bought the place.
I could go on and on and on, right up to the present day but I hope you accept I've known the place well for a long time. I haven't lived in Yorks for a long time now, but Igo back often for work and family reasons and keep my ear to the ground as we all do. It's a small industry.
I've got no axe to grind. I haven't suffered personally at HJ's hands.

"We are constantly checked by the CAA for conformance to the regulations regarding Flight Training Standards, AOC standards, and Licenced Aerodrome Standards etc."
Come on Steve, we've both been around long enough to know that proves nothing. I'm sure we both know operators who get away with murder with the CAA despite what everyone in the industry knows they get up to. Some people put one foot wrong and get done, whilst the cowboys seem to get away with anything however many inspections they get.
"I would defy anybody to say that they have more visits / correspondance from the Authority than we do."
I don't doubt that for a minute. And it doesn't surprise me.

It's nothing to do with perception or views about "these sort of people". I didn't mention car dealers anyway. That was Virgin and I read it as a refernence to Mike Thorpe, not to car dealers in general. I knew about Thorpe's other heli ops long before he took over Coney Park.

Let's agree to differ. I'll settle for "I know HeliJet and I wouldn't use them myself except for fuel."
I emphasise that's no reflection on you persoanlly or any other instructor or pilot at Coney Park.

When my own nephew wanted to learn, I arranged for him to GD when he had his own school. I would have sent him to Mark but he'd moved on to more exotic things than instructing in R22's by then. I just wouldn't have felt happy about him flying at HeliJet even though Coney Park would have been more convenient for him than Sandtoft.

Perhaps we'll have a chat over a coffee next time I call in for fuel? You know me, but you don't know I'm Hoverman. And I didn't know you were Stevie Terrier till this thread. Most people don't use any part of their real name so I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Duh!
Gawd I've gone on a bit but I wanted to clear the air out of respect for you. No hard feelings I hope. I won't post again on this topic.

PS
Look at what Virgin said. He's a lot more subtle than me, but he gave the same message.

Last edited by Hoverman; 12th Jan 2003 at 13:36.