PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 10:55
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke and Noise - Please read what has been said by myself and others on this issue and not what has not been said. No one is saying, or has ever said, that the Madrid base is closing because of crew cost. What myself and Robert G. Mugabe are saying that to think that crew cost is not a factor among many is very unwise. Clearly, as has always been said, the Spanish government's total misunderstanding of how to manage its debt and its failure to realise that bills piled onto foreign businesses will not be paid indefinitely. EasyJet and others have voted with their feet and said that they can no longer operate competitively there and therefore walked away. No part of the cost-income equation worked for us and that includes crew costs. I have stated openly that I do not believe the salary levels on offer at Madrid were supportable in a low-cost operation - I stand by that view. We all want top dollar - the income from the business must support that, and it is very apparent that few pilots can grasp the relationship between their income and the business's success. As I have stated elsewhere, if there are cuts to be made then everyone must bear the pain, particularly management who cannot expect huge bonuses if everyone else takes a pay cut. We are nowhere near that situation at other bases, but the stark fact is that the Madrid base could not make money for a whole variety of unpalatable reasons - therefore it closed.