PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dissertation- Effect of wind turbines on aviation
Old 17th Aug 2012, 21:30
Raiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at Aveillant and RenewableUK

Mike 91

Good dissertation topic - I wish you well.

I have some involvement with a company called Aveillant (Aveillant | A Leap Forward in Radar Technology), which has a new type of radar, that can tell the difference between turbines and aircraft - so solving the problem that you mention. Until they are installed at all the airports, here is a bit more about the problem.

I've been told that 74% of UK onshore wind farm planning applications are being blocked due to aviation concerns and that there is more onshore generating capacity held up in the planning system than there is operating. I believe these figures came from RenewableUK (RenewableUK - The UK's leading renewable energy association - (formerly named BWEA)), which would be a good place to look for your project.

The basic problem is that when a turbine and an aircraft have approximately the same slant range and azimuth from the radar station, they appear as one "blob" on the radar screen. This is manageable for individual turbines but, as the number and density of turbines increase, the potential for aircraft to be "hiding" above turbines gets worse and safeguarding becomes more difficult.

The problem is less severe when all the aircraft under the control of an Air Traffic Control Officer (ATCO) are known to carry altitude reporting transponders, as these allow the aircraft's altitude to be displayed on the screen, differentiating them from turbines. This is typically the high altitude en route situation.

The problem is more severe when non-transpoder aircraft can be present at the same slant range (even if not at the same altitude). This situation is more typical of the area around airports, which is where you will find the greatest problems.

Transponder Mandatory Zones (TMZs) have been created above some wind farms, to prevent non-transponder aircraft but they are unpopular with the operators of non-transponder aircraft, which includes many microlights, gliders and vintage aircraft.

Another place with relevant information is the Wind Farms and Radar group on LinkedIn. It's members only but, if you tell them what you're doing, I'm sure they'll let you join.

Good luck

Raiz