PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2012, 16:07
26er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DFCP

The saga of National Service Pilots.

I was employed as a met observer at LAP (as it was named in 1949) and read in "Flight" that the RAF were to train 200 n/s pilots each year. I went to the RAF recruiting office in Ealing and took some preliminary tests in the knowledge that I was shortly to be called up. It was a surprise, nonetheless, to arrive at Padgate on 28/11/49 and find that my name was known and a bunch of us were earmarked for aircrew selection at Hornchurch as soon as the initial issue of kit had taken place. The following week we were there, did the tests, and returned to Padgate for a couple of days until the results came through. Those selected went to the aircrew holding unit at Driffield. (It still brings back memories when smelling avtag as the whole station seemed to reek of it from the Vampires.) After a few days we were off home for Christmas having already sewn our cadet pilot laurel wreaths on our sleeves. After Christmas we reported to No 1 Initial Training School at Wittering and began training. All n/s guys were trained in the UK as otherwise insufficient time would be available what with sea transportation etc to Rhodesia, and then later to Canada.

At that time national service was for eighteen months in which time with no hold-ups you could just complete the course to "wings". A further agreement to being taught to fly was that you would then spend the next five years flying, either with the RAuxAF or the RAFVR. I believe it was in the winter of 1950/1 that national service was increased to two years which enabled me to complete 202 AFS at Valley (dual on Meteor T7s and solo on Vampire F1s and F5s), and most of the course at 229 OCU Chivenor. The training organisation notched up a few pegs during this period due to Korea. I don't know how many of those n/s guys who started training actually completed it but quite a high percentage decided they liked the life and signed on for either four or eight years. And for BEA and BOAC after their RAF service, e.g. Norman Tebbit.

In my case, having left after two years and having flown lots in the Chipmunks of the RAFVR I rejoined the mob and became a QFI on Meteors. During this time (Sep 52 - 54) I had several n/s students so the scheme was still operating. Also several reservists were recalled to the colours for a three month stint about then, and as their civil life had been disrupted they also signed on. But I imagine with the Korean stalemate the need had vanished and by the mid fifties the scheme finished. And shortly after that the RAuxAF and RAFVR were liquidated. RAFVR(T) staff pilots still continue though.