PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 19:32
Danny42C

Exchange Rates.

DFCP,

No, the wartime (fixed) rate was $4.08 to the £, not $4.8 ! So a LAC on 5/6 a day got $1.12 per day, or say $33 per month. A US Aviation Cadet (on the identical Course) got $200 !

I don't know if the discrepancy was as great in Canada.

So you followed the "Boro' !" Checked the log, last flew 22 Feb '52, nothing till Apl 7. What was I doing in March? - can't remember. I wasn't ill, or anything like that. It may have been the time the F.C.U.'s C.O. had to resign as he had got a headmastership away somewhere, and I was acting C.O., and would have had a lot of running about between Thornaby and the T.A.A.F.A. in Northallerton over the choice of the new one.

S/Ldr Martin was the 608 C.O., John Newbould (of the meat pie family) was the Adj [EDIT: No he wasn't, he was John Newboult, and nothing to do with them], and Mike Beavis the Training Officer (ring any bells?).

Another thought, if you came in on a Sat/Sun, I'd have been up to the eyes in it. My HQ (an old Ops Block) was opposite the Station HQ, near the main gate. The Mess, of course, was in the old house (Thornaby Hall). All gone now, of course.

Happy days !

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 24th Feb 2014 at 17:55. Reason: Additional Material. (24.2.14.) Correction.