PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The US and A flag raising.
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 18:19
Gemini Twin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was an accident, get off your high horse. The flag is absused every day in the land of the free, mostly by red neck hypocritical southern repulicans. Sample :

American Flag Wall of Shame

Click for enlargement.
These flags are flying at half staff and have been for over a week when the US flag and State of CT flag should be flying at full staff. The US flag is ripped and tattered. The flag of Japan flies from the same halyard below the US Flag. These flags and three more on the premises are all flying at half staff. They are flying on the grounds of the Granby Middle and High School complex, Granby, Connecticut. Picture credit: WeThePeopleGranby.com
Submitted by Terry White
"When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace." (Flag Code, Section 7g)
"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning." (Flag Code, Section 8k)
Section 7m. specifies the occasions upon which the flag may be flown at half-staff.
When the US flag is at half-staff, other foreign national flags are flown at full staff alongside the US flag flag. (Reference: Department of the Army Pamphlet 600–60)

Flag hangs in the bushes at a business in Smyrna, Delaware
Submitted by Pam
"No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America." (Flag Code, Section 8)
"The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise." (Flag Code, Section 8b)

Click pictures to see enlargements
In an article meant to celebrate our independence, Apartment Therapy (a home decor website) posted a picture of a couch draped with a flag, as if it's a slipcover. The flag is touching the floor and certainly shown disrespect if someone actually sits on it. In the same article they also chose to use a picture of a flag hung vertically in the wrong orientation.
Submitted by Caitlin Weather
"When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and ... to the observer's left." (Flag Code, Section 7i)
"The flag should not be ... allowed to touch the ground." (Flag Code, Section 7n)
"The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery." (Flag Code, Section 8d)

New swimsuits for the 2011 summer season spotted at my local Walmart.
Submitted by Walmart Shopper, Weatherford, Tx
"The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery." (Flag Code, Section 8d)

Living on the Oregon Coast doesn't expose me to much in the way of franchise operations . . . so, when a friend and I were visiting in Tucson, a military city, we were shocked and insulted to see this McDonald's, near Craycroft Road, displaying the American flag, with their logo flag underneath, on the same pole ... clearly a violation of the Flag Code. Then, upon our return through Portland, Oregon, we stopped at the Tanasbourne Shopping Center on 185th Street, and discovered the same violation at their McDonald's, an American flag, with the McDonald's logo flag underneath, on the same pole. Perhaps this is a corporate policy, and one which needs to be halted. Please help spread the word.
Submitted by Sherry L. Vachio
"Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown." (Flag Code, Section 8i)

This just isn't right!
Submitted by C.J.

Hillsboro installs flag-painted fake fire hydrant as "tribute" to deceased K-9. No disrespect intended...they say.
Submitted by Carl Collins
"The flag of the United States is any flag of the United States, or any part thereof, made of any substance, of any size, accurate or not, that is recognized as a flag by the reasonable observer." (Flag Code, Section 3)
"No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America." (Flag Code, Section 8)
"The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything." (Flag Code, Section 8h)

How much more disrespectful can FOX News get...???
Submitted by R.L., Pagosa Springs, CO
See the complete FOX News slide show of American Flag bathing suits: American Flag Bikini Fashion

Attached is a copy of U.S. Flag paper tissues.
Submitted by Tim, Alpharetta, GA
"It should not ... printed or otherwise impressed on ... anything that is designed for temporary use and discard." (Flag Code, Section 8i)
"The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything." (Flag Code, Section 8h)

I just saw this. It is called the "Flag of Honor and Heroes" and contains in small type, the names of the victims of September 11. It seems patriotic, but you shouldn't write on the flag, I was taught.
JS, Kansas
"The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature." (Flag Code, Section 8g)

The flag should not to be used as a "skin" on a disposable camera. This was found on sale at Sam's Club.
Submitted by W.C., Vermont
"The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature." (Flag Code, Section 8g)

This is on a business in Dallas TX, where the owner claims to be a former Marine. I have asked him on several occasions to change it.
Paul Hakes
"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning." (Flag Code, Section 8k)
Update: The flag was removed shortly after the posting of this picture here.

A golf club!? "When on the course of human events..."
Submitted by Arlen, Long Island City, New York

"The flag should not be ... allowed to touch the ground." (Flag Code, Section 7n) "No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America." (Flag Code, Section 8)

What's good for business is good for America! Well, the flag should not be used as decoration on a credit card, no matter how American that seems!
A. Clinton, Provo, Utah
"The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever." (Flag Code, Section 8i)