PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 16:23
Taphappy

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angel

Chugalug2
Yes the picture of the Dominie disproves my story of it being fitted with 4 or 5 TR1154/55s and I can only put it down to a fragile memory.
The drill was that each of the trainees took their turn at the set with the instructor sitting alongside. The Dominie does look plush in comparison with other service aircraft.

Any how back to Madley where those who had gained their brevet were awaiting posting.
These postings came through in early June and some were posted to Eastchurch to retrain in some ground trade but luckily I received an overseas!! posting to Jurby in the Isle of Man where No5 Air Navigation School was based. The job was to be a Staff W/op flying in Ansons normally with a crew of four comprising Staff Pilot,W/op and 2 trainee navigators. The flights usually consisted of 3 to 4 hours xcountry navigation exercises and weather permitting most of the staff aircrew flew every day.
All in all it was a pleasant posting, the airfield was on the coast and Douglas and Ramsey were in easy reach by the steam train which ran in these days.
However this idyllic situation was not to continue as in Sept 46 the unit was transferred lock, stock and barrel to Topcliffe in Yorkshire.
More later