PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 1st Aug 2012, 14:00
taxistaxing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking into this in detail over the last year or so, and my take on it is as follows.

The appeal of the modular route (which is what I'm doing) is that you can work full time throughout the course, and pay for your training as you go. Even if you need to borrow money for the expensive CPL/MEIR stage at the end of the course, the cost would be around £25k which you could conceivably borrow on an unsecured basis if (and only if) you're in well paid employment and have a good credit rating.

An integrated course would be worth doing if you can get onto a tagged scheme with an airline. However, with the exception of the BA FPP scheme (currently closed), you would be required to fund the cost of the course up front from your own resources (or borrowings). A loan of this magnitude (£80kish + housing and living costs for 18 months) would be required to be secured on a property with substantial equity in it and - sensibly enough - would certainly not be available on an unsecured basis these days.

Doing an integrated course, even on a tagged scheme, is a bit of a risk in the event that your potential employer folds (or simply decides it doesn't need to take you on) - but would probably be a risk worth taking (or it would be for me). Doing it without any prospect of a job at the end of it seems like madness in the current market.

The other thing to consider, if you're already earning, is the loss of earnings for the duration of the integrated course which might be very substantial - not to mention the lack of a 'back up' plan if you've burned your bridges with your existing career by giving up work to pursue flying training.

Keep in mind as well that, whether modular or integrated, you're highly likely going to have to fund your own type rating at the end of training - which could be £10k to £30k depending on operator/aircraft.

As a result of the above, my conclusion is that a. if you aren't on an airline scheme, and/or b. have a well paid existing job, modular becomes the only sensible option.

Last edited by taxistaxing; 1st Aug 2012 at 14:07. Reason: typo