PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: CASA Regulatory Reform
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2012, 21:25
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
The problem for simple private pilots like me is that I have not a snowballs chance in hell of understanding the finer points of the regulations, let alone the arcane circumlocutions and operating contortions necessary to comply, in fact I even doubt that compliance is possible in some circumstances.

By way of example, my understanding is that it is a criminal offence to start an engine without switching on a red anticollision beacon - if such beacon is fitted to the aircraft.

It is therefore a legitimate method of avoiding the possibility of committing this offence by not fitting a beacon (experimental or RAA), or causing the beacon to be removed if this option is legal for a certified aircraft.

What if such beacon is unserviceable? Is this a defence?

The net result is that as a private pilot I can only operate under the following assumptions.

1. Follow common sense.

2. Avoid possible interaction with CASA on the grounds that CASA will always find a "point of order" on which to prosecute you if it feels like it on the day.

By way of example - luggage restraints in a C172. Do tie down straps or cargo nets require certification? What is the lesser penalty here? Unrestrained baggage? The fitting and use of unapproved equipment? (eg a tiedown strap purchased from Bunnings)