PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scilly Isles Route
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2012, 21:55
PlymouthPixie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It goes without question that the airport on St Marys is need of modernisation but even my friends in high places are unsure why plans have been considered for a runway extension. A seaward extension will never become a reality, the duchy won't allow that eye saw on a site of natural beuty, never mind the residents. Although European funding looks to be available and if so the extension will go ahead.

As your aware the airfield is shut on a Sunday giving an oppurtunity to explore the site. The runway is and always has been in need of resurfacing to bring it upto speed with some of the latest friction and grip techniques and at a small price that can be acheieved, the same with the cross runway, asphalting the grass end has always been on the cards, according to my sources, improvements to the runway at a cost of £400,000 would significantly increase aircraft performance.

My idea with the extension would be to allow the interest of a certain Let410 operator in the UK to expand their network but given the exclusiveness of the airport I cant see the council or locals ever allowing another operator in the, same with having based aircraft as the report mentions about Twin Otters and new hangerage. Looking out from the Hugh Town pier, I'm sure a new RFS wouldn't look to pleasing!

Last edited by PlymouthPixie; 9th Jul 2012 at 22:09.