PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Feathered Lancaster!
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2012, 04:16
Weeds round the prop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topgas seems to have found the antenna projection. This is the first picture in which I have seen it apart from a 'maybe' on one of the Tiger Force Lancs in the pictures on the Operation Goodwill link.
Maybe this is for a trailing wire antenna as suggested by Shackman.

The white staining on the cowls and wing of the Canadian a/c are in line with Feathers McGraw's comments about lead from the fuel. I have never seen this before- does this mean that the Merlins etc today have to run on specially supplied leaded avgas (not LL)? Or has it been painted on for authenticity!
The mid-upper turret on the Canadian looks very similar to the original pic, too. It is lower and has a sloped front (gun side) than the high domed type that I have seen in most other pics. I have seen references to a Martin 250 type?

The squadron code for 101 Sqn was SR, and the pic could show that, but there doesn't seem to be much of a mark after the roundel (or much of a roundel either...)
Blacksheep's pic of the Coastal Command Lanc has a number and a letter before the roundel and nothing after it.

That is a grubby Bristol Freighter, Warmtoast, and I see what you mean.
(I used to know a chap who flew Frighteners for Freddie Laker. Freddie got the contract for transporting certain missiles from the UK out to Woomera for test. He had some fine tales to tell of the boredom of roaring along at 150mph to Oz!)

Regards, Weeds