PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to Re-Write The Rules of Indian Civil Aviation
Old 3rd Jul 2012, 02:27
stiknruddr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is a lot of angst regarding handling of things by DGCA which keeps coming out in these posts.
I am guilty of it myself on other topics in this forum. but it just lowers the quality of discussion. So lets not make it personal against the officials or other members on the forum.

The best way to make this discussion constructive is to think along the lines of the various aspects of aviation and what ails them, then give suggestions.
topics i can think of, some of which have been mentioned by original poster :

licensing ( requirments, recency, renewal, conversion, endorsement of ratings)

flight training (approval, audits, standards for flight tests)

written exams ( on demand exams, streamline the process for applying for exam)

medicals ( appointments, approved civilian docs besides air force centres)

Record keeping (why seperate license no. file no., computer number. in most countries, you have one number for everything)

general aviation ( outdated rules for approval to buy private a/c, insane taxes on fuel and landing charges, no encouragement to FBOs and MROs at indian airports)

Airspace (most of the airspace still controlled by military and civillian airspace badly planned, which does not allow any general aviation or flight training near tier1, tier 2 cities)

Independant Accident Investigation Bureau (which does not anwer to the regulator and has the power to cause change of regulations if the need is felt after an accident investigation.)

This list is not ehaustive and some of these are being addressed by DGCA in a piecemeal manner.
my main worry is wether this excercise is genuine or is it just an eyewash for senior officials (Mr Ziadi, Mr. Bhushan etc ) to build brownie points.
time will tell.
well executed reforms can unlock the potential of this sector and will help us unemployed pilots to look beyond airlines for a career.