PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2012, 08:00
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foldie
PPS. If it was OK for the majority, then why was the Director General of the BBC called before a Commons Select Committee (unprecedented) to explain himself?

I actually watched this committee meeting although I must have missed the Director General's appearance. I did however see the Editor-in Chief of the Diamond Jubilee program make his 'excuses'.

If I was going to complain about anything, I would complain about his woeful performance. I accept it is not PC to criticise those that stammer, but this was not your average stammering, it was continual, hesitant repetition of a number of words. His points were obviously well scripted but completely lost with his wringing of hands and unprofessional bumbling.

I am a news addict although I tend to watch Sky News and Al Jazeera (interesting coverage of downed Turkish F4) rather than BBC whose standards have deteriorated beyond recognition. However ALL news stations regularly make HUGE gaffs which spread from plain propaganda or just simple inaccuracies that are laughably way off the mark.

Just a quickie regarding standards:
Several months ago I complained on this forum about the filthy state of a Sea King Search and Rescue aircraft that was involved in a public demonstration. Lots of abuse telling me how I was being 'picky' and maintainers had better things to do other than clean off built up efflux , or to me lots of soot!

That is all about standards that we have control over and who cares if a commentator calls it a Merlin or a Royal Navy aircraft.. The crew are representing their military service and what does it say when they turn up to perform in front of the public in a dirty aircraft that could have easily and quickly had a quick shampoo and shine!! It is all about personal or service standards. The Commander of an air base that talked to the World's media by the front gate of his air base minus hat and litter on the ground.. That is all about standards that are within our control and whilst I am on a roll... Royal Navy ships open to the public with rust streaks down their side or leaving harbour with sailors ambling about the deck with nothing to do but look like lost sheep!! Standards which we have control over ...

End of rant... and far better to complain rather than bottle up any frustration

Incidentally I don't think the Sky Presentation was any better, but I do feel both channels got across the pride, and joy the nation felt, plus the video coverage was excellent when we take into account the AWFUL weather conditions. I am NOT for one milli-second saying the commentary was perfect far from it. and your points are obviously valid, I just felt that for the length of time that commentator had to waffle, his mistakes were acceptable

Should they employ retired Royal Navy personnel to talk about Naval matters Army to talk about Army and Royal Air Force to talk about Royal Air Force and if so would they be talking to a very limited audience and possibly boring the significant majority? (polite question)