PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government scheme - airline apprenticeships.
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 18:54
Chugalug2

Received 221 Likes on 69 Posts
The thing about getting old is that you've seen it all before, including this "initiative". In the early 70's there was a thing called TOPS (Training Opportunity Scheme). The nice people down at the Labour Exchange had a big fat chequebook to fund the training of erstwhile brain surgeons, Automatic Data Processing Technicians (ie Computer Engineers), pilots, etc. Those leaving the RAF, including a Nav or two, returned triumphant from a visit with "loads'a money" for licences and Instrument Ratings. Comes my turn and I'm told, "Ah, yes, there was such a scheme up until last week but sadly it has had to be terminated as we've run out of money". So I have to shell out the gratuity that I've just been handed, and some more, to Kidlington for the IRT course. In addition they rather apologetically announce that their fees are now attracting the brand new VAT and they are obliged to charge it but, "don't worry because we are an educational establishment and should be exempt. As soon as that's approved you'll be refunded".
Guess what, they weren't and I wasn't.
It's Deja Vu all over again, Vince!