PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 18th Jun 2012, 20:50
Ash_Harrison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on Integrated vs Modular

Hi all, thought I would give a quick post on here as I am looking for some advice on pilot training. Heres the story so far;

I had a trial flying lesson a few months ago and loved it, I had always been interested in aviation but the lesson sealed the deal: I really want to be a pilot. On the 30th May I had an assessment day with an FTO and they offered me a place on an integrated course. The cost of the course is £81k. As I am only 19 I obviously have no chance of getting that money. Thankfully my parents are very supportive and they are willing to use their equity to secure a loan. I am also aware that I could go the modular route and get the same licenses/ratings for much cheaper, however it would take me longer.

The FTO have said numerous times about how the industry is going very well and lots of pilot jobs are out there, but obviously they will say that, they want my £81k. So basically I was just wondering what the industry is like atm? As I will be out of work in a few weeks now would be a good time for me to do the integrated course, but obviously I don't want to gamble my parents house and lifestyle without knowing that there is a good chance of employment at the end of the course.

One more thing. I see that a lot of airlines post in their recruitment ads that the candidate must already be type rated. Now im aware that this can be quite expensive. Are there many, or any, airlines that don't require you to pay for your type rating? If I was to go on the integrated course I don't think I/we could get more money on finance for the type rating.

After looking into it more I am personally leaning towards the modular side, it just seems less risky. However another part of me is thinking that I should do the course as I will be unemployed in a few weeks anyway, but again I don't think I could live with myself if my parents were to lose everything because of my silly mistake.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.