PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - History Repeating
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2012, 00:54
Anthill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QF will survive in whatever guise either with or without the assistance of the Guv'amunt. What I do predict is that a certain amount of 'micro-economic reform' will eventually take place that will mean the historic T&Cs will disappear. The agenda to engage in industry reform has not been abandoned since 2001, believe me.

The reality is that Ansett played a very significant role in the Australian economy and its demise caused significant disruption in many markets. For example, many Ansett staff lived in Sutherland Shire (Sydney) and Northern suburbs of Melbourne(Sunbury). The glut of real estate that flooded the market in these areas as unemployed staff had to sell their homes triggered a fall in average prices. Not only that, the local businesses (Tradesmen, retail, private schools, dance classes etc etc..) also suffered as ex Ansett employees could no longer afford to use their services. Many of these businesses failed.

Funny, too were how the vultures circled. I know of many Ansett staff who were suddenly, out of the blue approached by Real-Estate agencies who had cash buyers, interested in your propery, right now! Also those who had leased cars were similarly approached by car wholesalers offering a good price(2/3rds market rate ) for their vehicles. Somebody was obviously selling lists. Luckily we owned our house and had cash reserves to pay out the lease and own the car outright.

Not that PM Little Johnny or the Minister for Qantas cared; they were too busy pandering to the whims of Macquarie Bank and Mr 'Make-More-Millions'. We all saw Darth's visage on telly in 2001 and he could not wipe the smile from his face. Maybe no celebrations in the rank and file QF camp but I do recall that in this forum there were several 'bitter-and-twisteds' who were bragging about, I think the expression used was "some big parties in Brisbane this weekend" Not to mention the young and dumb staffers from another airline who came into the Ansett Sydney terminal with and attitude discribed by observers as "gloating".

I agree that failing businesses hould be allowed to fail as this allows a rationalisation of efficiencies. It also prevnts the pigs from sticking their snouts into the public trough, as happend with the US banks. Regarding Qantas and its future, I would say that political expedencies will over-ride any moral or rational imperatives. This means that the system will be manipulated one way or another until all of those on 'historic' T&Cs have left the industry. The future is that black.

Last edited by Anthill; 11th Jun 2012 at 01:08.