PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2012, 08:54
ICBM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longer Ron,

As you say, the doors were redesigned however my understanding was that is was due to adverse intake flow down into the lift fan during deceleration to the hover. Hence F-35B has the large flap lid rather than the french shutters you see in your linked X-35 clip.

So if the worst case happens and in 2013 the -B is cancelled? How much would it then cost to go back to Carrier Alliance and ask them to switch again to the CATOBAR design yet fit both QEC and POW with EMALS (which I presume would be preferred over a steam device for a number of good reasons...), buy F/A-18E to perhaps acquire F-35C later? Not an inexpensive option I fear and to make it worthwhile you'd have to buy quite a few more F/A-18E for the same effect you'd have gotten with the F-35B (that's been proven btw). Granted that with Super H our Navy would have power projection from the sea against all but the anticipated Russian/Asian threats next decade though, until we acquired F-35C of course but then would we have the numbers?

That's the only reason why I can see a situation in SDSR 2015 (drafting now) in that we still don't have the money needed to cope with the above situation if it were to happen. I could see the Govt opting to sell both carriers in order to cut its losses and a phased-in procurement option for JSF transferring to the RAF as a Tornado replacement post-2018. This could be F-35C (range for deep strike) or F-35A (why not, there is no carrier requirement in this scenario now). F-35A range is only a few miles shorter than F-35C but it is a lighter platform, allowing more growth potential with less risk through-life.

Again, let me re-iterate that the above musing is unlikely, unless the F-35B is abandoned altogether. USMC lobby will prevent that IMHO.