PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SNP propose 7 Airbases for Scotland post Independence
Old 8th Jun 2012, 19:07
LFFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, you say that because it's easy to be flippant on an internet forum, but if push came to shove I would wager that the majority of those in the UK would vote to retain the status quo.

Of course they would, because the majority realise that we are both much stronger together than we would be apart. However, that's only really the case if we continue to have common fiscal policies decided centrally by Westminster. No surprise there; the German government and the rest of the EuroZone are now finally beginning to realise that common fiscal policies and federal governance are perhaps the only way out of the Euro monetary crisis.

Perhaps I've got this wrong, but it seems like the SNP want fiscal independence for Scotland whilst keeping the security of staying within the SterlingZone. However, we saw what happened in Greece (and other countries) when they were allowed just that when joining the Eurozone; profligate spending ruined them and has brought the EuroZone to its knees! Sadly you can see signs of that trend of profligate spending in Scotland already; free university education etc etc.

So in my view, everyone in the UK has to wake up and smell the coffee. If we are going to stay out of the EuroZone and continue to exist as a strong sovereign state, we should work together to common policies and with one governing body that sets the rules for all. The alternative is to let Scotland go its own way with its own currency - there is no middle ground.

Last edited by LFFC; 8th Jun 2012 at 19:14.