PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veterans ID card
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2012, 20:40
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am now an old duffer - as some would like to describe me. As many others, I spent thirty years plus in HM Service, from 1962. Only two of those years were spent in harm's way: the rest was preparing for an all-out war that was in itself unthinkable, but nevertheless possible. I was not in danger of losing my life, other than being required to rehearse, daily, those procedures that were life-threatening. In other words, it was a stressful time, albeit, with its enjoyment. That said, many lives were lost in the process, including more than a few of my mates.

I already wear an old-duffer's metal badge (readily bought), occasionally. But yes, I would welcome a recognised Vet's card. Specifically one that would recognise my Service to my country previously described: of which I'm proud. I don't ask for financial gain, but, for me, it would be nice to be welcomed into my old Base Messes without being seen as a Pariah, and to be given access to other, military orientated, public places with a little privilege.

I hope that those presently serving, and who have served, in more recent and harmful conflict will be accorded better accolade than their predecesors.

Last edited by jindabyne; 7th Jun 2012 at 20:49.