PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2012, 12:51
v8diesel0121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharjah Airport (RAF Hangar)

Hi Salman,
by chance i came across this website, i have spent around 20 years in Dubai, and have always been interested in what my fellow countrymen have gotten upto in far flung places, i work in the construction industry and have worked exclusively in Dubai since about 92' for Al naboodah Contracting (i'm currently in Oman, but thats another story) when i joined, i was shown a very rusty pile of scrap metal at the back of my old workshop at kawaneej, and was told that this was to be my new plant and transport workshop which we were to build up on the hatta road at al awir. the fact is the old rusty pile of steel trusses and uprights were the old RAF hangar from sharjah airport (Al naboodah demolished the buildings their around 1990-91) instead of cutting the hangar frame up, it was transported to kawaneej to await a new life as a plant and transport workshop, this was realised around 94', we split the sections into two, building a stores and offices between the 2 "short" sections (still very big for a plant workshop!) the steel was sandblasted, primed and re-clad in new sheeting, it looked brand new!, if you travel up the Hatta road to al awir, you can see the 2 section workshop to your right hand side (the new central prison is located behind it). the steel trusses and uprights are stamped in places with "Scunthorpe 1947" if my memory serves me right (mill stamps) i know its a little bit of trivia, but i thought worthwhile relaying keep up the good work with your historical endeavours.

Martin.