PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Counterfeit parts in your aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:24
Rigga

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
In 2004 one company I contracted for found an unmarked Rotor Head for a Bell 206 - No Pt No. and no Ser No. - trouble was that it flew in with quite some hours on it! After quite some searching to find anyone that could "own" it, it was eventually reported to the CAA (MOR) and "properly" scrapped.

I myself unpacked a Huey Cockpit Door Hinge to find that it was perfectly made but made of Brass instead of Aluminuiuiuium Alloy. But as it was military stock - just demanded another one!

Bogus parts have always been a heavy game. Mainly the problem is of ex-military parts (especially engine parts) making it on to the civil market. Less certification costs and less stores accountability/security makes for more profit.

It is said (by whom?) that fake parts manufacture increased during and after the Vietnamese wars - probably where my Brass Hinge came from.

I have to agree about the control of "scrap" from miltary stocks - not quite poor, but really awful and a disgrace to aviation legislation. What the RN used to call "cum-in-andy" scrap control, I believe.

Even I remember robbing gate guardians of Jet Pipes- and that was Harrier's in 1999! (Bung a 731 on 'em and get 'em fitted)

Last edited by Rigga; 22nd May 2012 at 19:26.