PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 12:46
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To return to the original question I am not in favour.

The initial PPL has to be "doable". There lots of things that could be included and could be considered as important or more important (that arent). For example, more instrument time, which is probably more likely to save your life one day that knowing how to recover from a spin. So, firstly time is limited.

Add to the time limitation that for spin training to be worthwhile it should be covered reasonably well. You cant do that in one session. I am not sure demonstrating to the student a spin has much value. For most, the first time an aircraft spins they really have very little idea whats happening and are more than likely to do the wrong thing (other than as someone else said do nothing!). So, if it is to be taught, at least teach it properly.

The next issue is that these days many clubs simply dont own aircraft that can be spun, so there are the added complications of "hiring in" suitable aircraft.

Finally, I bet most instructors are not comfortable spinning these days so there is yet more "hiring in" to be done.

For these reasons all in all I dont see it should be included in the syllabus.

However, its definitely something to go and do and enjoy once you have your PPL.