PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Citation 750 down in Egelsbach.
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2012, 14:54
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the FPG, it would have required 3360ft at MLM, and 2980ft at 28.000lbs (3180lbs below MLM), at 25000 2710ft. Even the 2.5 Knots of tailwind should have been bearable...LDA 27 3824ft, 09 4592ft.

I get the impression that you think you are above all of these initatives
Iīm the first to admit that have made, do make and will continue to make mistakes. Anyone telling you different is either a liar or not in aviation.

But - I have been a commercial air taxi dude for 16 years and Iīm in corporate for over 5 years now - what I`ve witnessed mostly in the air taxi aka AOC (pre and post JAR/EU-ops experience) world is, that apart from raising the levels of paper filled in, little has changed to the better.

Under AOC there would be line training, which is designed to pick up on and rectify any sub standard problems any given crew member might demonstrate
From what I have witnessed - and I was CRE / CRI in three different AOC operations - that is simply not true. Good pilots are often the ones to say 'no' and are exactly what the companies donīt want.

When a lot of pilots canīt do things that were considered normal knowledge in the 70s, 80s and 90s then we need to ask us two questions:

1) whats wrong with the way we train and check pilots? (when exactly did you do a VFR part for an LPC or OPC in a shiny jet? All we do (cause its right there in the form to be filled in as an mandatory item) is V1 cuts and the like, which statistically is an almost non event)

2) should we forbid anything but ILS to ILS because we donīt want to train our pilots properly (think MPL as an example)?

I had written a lengthy reply, but my computer has 'eaten' that one and I donīt have the desire to re-write everything I put down before... so:

yes, I object more regulation. These guys were from the safest aviation system there is, the US/FAA. Obviously they either simply slipped through the gates or they had a very, very bad day. The report says nothing about how long they have been up, whether the PIC was on a business meeting before the flight, how long the crew took to prepare themselves ( I honestly think they did not at all). These are very important factors IMO.
OTOH having the airplane in an AOC like structure (management) might have gotten them a slot in EDDF, but if not I donīt see how the outcome would have been a different one if the cockpit crew does not prepare itself for a nonstandard, close to the minima flight/landing.
They screwed that one up royally. ("Speed checks, Flaps to 5" 35 knots ABOVE the limit for Flaps 5 shows the stress level. E in the FMS instead of Y1 & 2, the totally unstable approach, the handling of the TCAS alert -> they were way behind their airplane and not prepared at all, IMO)