PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 16:04
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO,

Thanks for coming back, and I appreciate your sentiments.

No, I haven't asked the basic question about the scenario because I'm not sighted in the details of the USMC's concept of operations here - it's out there on the Web, just haven't had time to go and read it through.

But I can take a very good bet that the USMC have worked out their CONOPS, and argued it through the Joint Chiefs, and got it underwritten by Congress, and have sold it to their officer corps from top to bottom.

As I remember it from a few years ago., their basic position was that they wanted the ability to deliver survivable CAS to their Marines, without recourse to a CVN. They forecast that CVN numbers would drop (dead right) and that the position could arise where a MAG was the USA's 'first responder' on the scene. They also forecast that advancing technology, plus political instability post collapse of the USSR would cause the spread of highly capable air defence systems to 'third world' countries. (Not so far off there).

Of course, it's a free world, a free thread, and anyone can criticise their doctrine and CONOPs. But for my part, I like the way that they stick with their programmes and don't try to get them by shafting the other Services. Yes, they've reached high, and have come unstuck on occasions. That's the American way, and it doesn't always deliver.

Your point about larger and heavier aircraft on L class ships is a very good one, and the arguments about 'well deck, no well deck' are alive and 'well'. But again, contrasts with the UK process are instructive. They've had an open, well informed and courteous debate, often in the pages of their professional journals. They have maintained a good relationship with the USN, and have moved a long way to integrate their FW aviation more with the 'black shoe' fleet.

You've probably worked out that I have a great deal of time for the USMC. They are honest, open and also very effective. A very good RAF friend of mine once said that the UK should look to recast its Armed Forces along the lines of the USMC. I think he had something there.

Hope this helps the thread,

Best Regards

Engines