PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2012, 18:27
Backwards PLT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I'm going to break my "1 hr from read to post" rule again. Peter - do you, or have you ever, had anything to do with fast jet aviation? The B carries deadweight (lift fan, gearbox etc), the C carries fuel and weapons.

Very interesting to read CAS's note about JSF (on intranet for those that have access and no protective markings so unclass) - he "embraces" the decision. Subtly different from supports / approves etc!

I think there's a little misunderstanding about the defence management article. Before the change back to the B we actually only had 1/2 a carrier (one deployed for about 6 months /year). Now we have a whole carrier (2 deployed for 6 months/year each) - and with the ability to surge to 2 if we are lucky (not in deep maintenance) and get enough notice. So the UK will be using both as carriers (the huge + point about the B), just don't mistake that with having 2 carriers available.

I appreciate this isn't fully funded yet, but we have £8 bil spare and we would be mad not to ...........

Last, I understand the plan is still to use them in the envisaged CEPP role ie mix of FJ (12) and helo. They will have nothing like the strike capability of a US Nimitz but in the real world will be able to do a huge range of tasks that will crop up pretty well. Just don't go and ask them to take on China!