PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook pilot v RAF Movers
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2012, 08:56
orgASMic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's throw this dog another bone, shall we?

Laarbruch 72, if you want current Mover dits, how does one from last Sunday night grab you?

The wife and her team arrived at BZN at 2200 to check in early (pre-arranged) for their flight to sandy parts. The DAMO (a FS) told her "Sorry, ma'am, we can't check you in yet; we are checking in a flight to the Falklands and the bags might get mixed up". She waited for the laugh and the "Only kidding, ma'am. We will get you sorted straight away" but none was forthcoming.

Now we have all had bags go astray when on civvy flights; the number of bags going through a major airport is enormous and a few going AWOL is inevitable but if your solution to the problem is to check flights in sequentially rather than label the bags correctly and put them in separate piles, your imagination ranks only slightly higher than that of processed cheese.

The other end of the spectrum is my experience of lost bags. Brize to Thumrait in 2001 (Is that allowable L72? I am still serving, if that helps). My oppo and I are en route to Bagram via Oman. The troops from Ex SAIF SAREEA II are still coming home so the TriStar goes out with only the 2 of us and an Army major on board but will come back full. Needless to say, the major's bags never made it to the aircraft. Losing a third of the load does not give one faith. Even worse is the fact that it was another nail in the coffin of the RAF's reputation with the Army. As soon as movers realise that they are the RAF's shop front a lot of the time, then the good eggs (the vast majorty) will weed out the bad (a small but toxic minority).