PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 02:29
josephfeatherweight

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Continuation from RAAF Flight Screening thread...

Howdy.

An interesting discussion was taking place on the RAAF Flight Screening Program thread from the Military Discussion area. As was correctly decided, the conversation was probably not appropriately related to Flight Screening, but it was a worthwhile discussion that is perhaps more suited here.
I hope it can continue to be just that - a "discussion" and not an argument, because the points raised are valid and relevant to RAAF retention.
I wish to continue the discussion with DBTW, who, with all due respect, has made a few incorrect assumptions.
I am close enough to the system to know that nearly 100% of the youth approaching the screening process wish to fly fast jets. That is the same as it has ever been and no amount of talking down to the youth of today will change that.
Well, you're obviously not close enough and I would humbly suggest a little naive about the true motivations of our candidates. If you wade through the 2000+ posts on the Flight Screening thread, you will pick up on a truth that has always been there - if you are applying to join the RAAF as a pilot, ALWAYS tell the recruiters you want to be a fighter pilot - doesn't mean you necessarily want to be one, but unfortunately it's the reality of the aircrew recruiting process. That is the same as it has ever been...

I fully understand there are not enough fast jet slots available for all of the 140 odd students who commence BFTS each year, and the subsequent training process is such that most graduates do not achieve their initial goal. IE: they finish up flying something else.
Well, at the moment, 79 is almost taking everyone they can get - those that want to go there anyway...

To be frank, you are all wrong.
"Everyone else except me...", hey?
Really, really? Do you want to come across like that? I reckon most of the knucks are actually a pretty good bunch, but there are of course some who ruin for the rest - I'm sure you didn't mean to come across like such a person - don't make it easy for the (incorrect) stereotype to prevail.

I believe the youth of today are just as capable and motivated as any youth have ever been.
As I do and I hope we all do - maybe they're just not aiming at what you aimed at - and that is not a detraction of their motivations nor abilities.

NB: it is a generational thing that the people here are appearing to be condescending towards you. Continue boldly and reach for the stars. Don't let them talk you down.
I don't think anybody is talking anybody down - my impression is that you're the only one who has talked down to anyone else.
You seem to be surviving with it in your "sponsored by the people of Australia" commercial pursuits. I suppose you think everyone in the RAAF should join an airline like what you did?
DBTW - I respect your opinions and would like to give you the benefit of the doubt about your personality, but your post in the previously mentioned thread does not go much way to painting a good picture. ACG have a BIG problem ahead. Nobody here is trying to demotivate potential fast jet candidates - ACG is doing a good enough job of that itself. The first step to overcoming a problem is admitting one exists - that's ACG's biggest hurdle.

As I said, I hope this can be a discussion, not an argument, because perhaps some positive ways ahead/suggestions can come of this.

Cheers.

Last edited by josephfeatherweight; 15th May 2012 at 02:34.