PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 10:24
josephfeatherweight

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts
DBTW - mate, I have to agree with the other posters - you're out of touch.
ACG need to wake up to themselves - why did NONE of the QFIs at 2FTS take up the offer of a slot at 79SQN for Fast Jet conversion? I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's just the reality of the situation. I strongly believe that the RAAF has the BEST fighter pilots in the world. I REALLY believe that. I have nothing but admiration for their skills and work ethic. But something it wrong. Why do none of THEM want to go back? (From 2FTS, 79/76SQN?) They work too hard - for, arguably, no reason. Not "too hard" in your books - which is again, something I admire from someone like you - but "too hard" for this generation, where often wives and partners have their own careers and ambitions, that take up LOTS of time and effort.
Is this a problem? I don't think so - the time spent on 1v1, 2v1s, is great fun and makes for some cool HUD tapes, but it is a wasted maintenance of proficiency for a skill unlikely to be needed.
I have quite a few mates in ACG who feel the same way - these guys are UTMOST professionals who have an amazing passion for their jobs - but they have other respectable interests too - and we're burning them out.
Unfortunately it only takes the odd knob to ruin the image of what could be a terrific posting opportunity - and unfortunately a number of them have done a lot of damage at the schools (BFTS and 2FTS).
Whilst slightly off the topic (from RAAF Flight Screening) it is relevant...

Last edited by josephfeatherweight; 14th May 2012 at 10:27.