PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight Crash in Scotland - 2 Fatalities
Old 14th May 2012, 08:20
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The discussion on the using of the information service would be better spun off to another thread. I believe its an important subject which needs addressing as the level of microlight traffic is only going to increase and I am more than happy with any increase in aviation in scotland what ever it may be. We just all need to work together. I certainly don't have a them and us attitude with microlights. When ever I hear them on frequency which to be honest is rarely my main thoughts are "what a lovely day for it" or "they must be freezing their nads off"

Also the coverage of the various frequencys in Scotland is also well worth talking about as all of us seem to have to build up personal experence about where and what alt we can speak to you. How someone from the south is meant to know this knowledge I don't know. As PK says you can be in and out of coverage and sometimes not be able to tell you that your QSYing to another freq. But a routing and an estimate for destination and agreement that you will be out of contact is better than nothing. And you just ask the tower or ring scottish to let them know you have arrived. Actually a mobile number for Scottish info might be a good idea then we can just text you. I know most of the attractive young female aviators already have you personal number FBW but us fat ugly male pilots should have the same service

I don't think folk realise either that the top cover we used to have before Kinloss stopped flying is now gone. Most of the time even in the depths of a glen your transponder was busy flashing away as only it does when a mil asset is interogating it. Now it just sits there. Personally I would have upper Scottish west dialled in now if on the west coast low level then a transatlantic could relay a mayday if required.

And I still reckon a transmitter on top of Cairngorm would sort alot of the coverage issues out. You can get to the top esay with the railway and there is already a host of coms gear up there already. I know its a money thing.

Last edited by mad_jock; 14th May 2012 at 08:35.