PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude = speed control/power = pitch
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 20:26
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Pace
What happens with aircraft which pitch down applying full power

Pace
I have owned shares in three that did that - a Thruster TST and before that a Eurowing Goldwing and an Ultraflight Spectrum. Both had very high thrustlines so increased power increased trim speed.

In the Thruster and Spectrum actually it worked rather well, the aircraft wouldn't quite stall with the throttle closed, but in level flight the aeroplane would generally stay roughly level with changes in power, changing speed only - at-least for around 50-80% power. In both to fly a glide approach, you did have to positively hold the stick forward to fly an appropriate speed - not an uncommon experience in weedhopper derived microlights.

The Goldwing was actually quite dodgy, and would never get certified now. If you stalled it with power at idle, it wouldn't recover without power - the elevator alone wouldn't do it. I tended to land it with moderate power then, leaving the stick in the middle, flare by closing the throttle which pitched it up towards the stall whilst it sunk onto the ground. (A glide approach in the Goldwing neeed the stick virtually on the front stop).

But still, in all of those, it was stick for speed and power for rate of descent on approach (Unless you wanted a very high speed approach in the Goldwind - very high in that deeply disfunctional aeroplane being anything above about 55 knots). But all three you tended to hold the stick forward to maintain approach speed. (None had pitch trimmers you'd want to take home to meet your mother.) Ditto the original Chotia Weedhopper that the Thruster was loosely based upon, and I've had the privilege of flying a few times, same again the AX3, AX2000 and X'Air which were later developments in the same family.

The advantage of all these aeroplanes is that at-least a full power go-around tends not to stall you into the ground.

G