PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greenpeace activists paraglides into French nuclear reactor
Old 8th May 2012, 19:35
martello

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rarely does one find such enlightenment on a prune forum

interested in the Scottish Army's views on wind power and King Alex ( failed labour party spin man as I understand - just found a more amenable audience in Scotland with too many Scots already over the border in politics- as I see it)

Anyway the consensus seems that something must be done - I mean what happens to electricity demand once we all start driving electric cars

two five pennyworths -
1) I have a friend who is bigwig at Cern and over a wine soaked tutorial on physics he said they would crack fusion but it is about 30- 50 years away - it currently works but y'need more energy in than y'get out but it offers a real green prospect - in the meantime his view was that fission plants are a necessary evil
2) another friend - citation driver invested in a tidal power project - apparently one big machine dropped in the Humber was able to power a third of the city - the money went in, they dropped the machine -- and lost it !! ha ha not very funny if you are an investor pioneer putting yer money where yer mount is. but seriously if a compact generator could work like that surely it would do less damage than chinese medicine harvesting sharks fins or whatever.

would mad jock or one of the other engineers care to enlighten us as to why tidal power has not been the X Factor darling of the media that wind has? and what are the engineering issues ? (there y'go that's respect for engineers )