PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude = speed control/power = pitch
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 05:18
Miken100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an interesting debate... partly due to the number of different views/experiences....

If you are learning to fly and land a light aircraft, VFR and are still doing your PPL then you need to set aside all talk of ILS - it's too early for that.. you need to learn to fly the aeroplane first.

The principle that works for me...

Base leg and long final... get the aircraft properly set up, power/attitude/trim - you need to establish a stable approach at the right speed.

All the way down the approach, one hand on the throttle and scanning between the runway and the ASI you are trying to keep this initially stable approach going

As you descend, the runway perspective may start to flatten out... you are sinking! The aircraft needs more energy so apply a little more power and adjust attitude to maintain airspeed.... (as stated the two go together).

If the runway perspective starts to lengthen you are getting too high... the aircraft needs less energy.. reduce the power and adjust the attitude.

This needs to be practised until it is instinctive... the day will come when, at 300' on a gusty day, you might suddenly start to sink rapidly... at this point you need power!! So once you have this habit you are going to avoid hitting the caravans at Caernarfon or the factories/hedge at Hucknall etc etc...

As stated - if your career goes on to bigger beasts, jets and/or Instrument approaches there are new things to bring in but all of these will be better if you learn the basics now.

Agree with Geng about one instructor... I was the "son of many instructors" and it confused the life out of me (I guess putting a question on here could do the same - but I learned without t'interweb).... as you get experience the differing views/techniques are easier to cope with but at first... one set of techniques will do...

Good luck... happy flying... Mike