PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2012, 22:48
Danny42C

Thanks all round !

esa-aardvark (your #2541),

John,

I do wish I'd had the chance to talk to your late father about the assembly of the Vengeances (at Mauripur ?) He'd have been able to confirm/deny the tale (to be told a few Posts later) about this, which was only what I was told at the time (and could be complete nonsense).

As for the Spitfires, there is a thread "Spitfires found in Burma", on the "Aviation History and Nostalgia" section. It would be wonderful if it were true, but I can't believe it. Hundreds of locals must have seen the ?burials? at the time; some must still be alive; how come we've never heard a word about it all these years till now ?

Warmtoast (your #2542),

If it's beaten the OED, it's beaten me ! The expression seems to have gone all round the world. (a small point: the 1958 Times entry is usually quoted in French, and differs a bit: "Les negres commencent a Calais" - sorry, can't do accents!) I think the Times clip is a parody of this.

glojo (your #2543)

John, don't give it another thought ! It's just what the RAF called me - with a very Irish surname I had to be Paddy or Danny. It's not my real name - just my PPRuNe pen-name.

Thank you all for your interest,

Goodnight,

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 1st May 2012 at 23:17. Reason: Additional material