PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mouldy Quarters at RAF Brize Norton.
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2012, 22:04
SRENNAPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
31 Years ago on the 25 April 1981 I married a dental nurse from Brize Norton. It just so happened that I was also being posted to the newly formed Tornado world (much to my disgust). The only offer of a married quarter at BZN, after we got married, was a flat in Abingdon Road, until we got a MQ at Cottesmore. Normally this would not have happened as you needed to be at a Unit for at least 6 months to qualify for a quarter.
We very were pleased that we started off a married life under the same roof. Unfortunately the flat we took over was absolutely minging and i mean rancid. There was mold muck and dirt and even cats flees. We were told take it or leave it and if you take it you will need to bring it up to march out standard or be charged. We took it (so at least we could live together at weekends) and I went to Cottesmore while my new wife spent the first 3 months on her hand and knees scrubbing. We got £30 quid to clean it.

In those days a collocation posting was difficult to achieve and certainly not a right so my wife also had to leave the RAF if we were to start married life together.

I am not saying this is right and it was our choice, but **** happens and that is the way it was.

But the way I look at it is that it made us stronger and happier. Give me a shout if you can look back on 31 years of very happy marriage and a 30 year career in the RAF making do with what ever comes. Not that many here could boast the same I feel.