PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS27 Evacuation - 'Fear Without Flying' blog
Old 21st Apr 2012, 10:00
PT6A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would respectfully suggest in most instances it is not appropriate to disregard the published procedures. These have been created by the manufacturer and then approved by the Authorites.

Airbus are quite clear in their documentation that an evacuation should not be taken lightly as it will lead to injury of passengers, furher that all resources should be used to evaluate if an evacuation is necessary.

As the facts stand today (to the best of my understanding) there was no fire onboard the aircraft.

This would mean the crew had a cargo smoke warning only. Once on the ground the safest course of action is for the responding fire and rescues services to examin the hold from the outside using thermal imaging equipment (keeping the hold door closed) if the hold is showing no signs of heat then the passengers should be taken off the aircraft via steps.

If the hold does show signs of heat then they should be evacuated.

I can't help but wonder if this was a cabin initiated evacuation.

Anyway, there are surely some lessons to be learned.

*Note the detectors as installed in the hold are not "fire detectors" or "heat detectors" but an optical sensor that is extremely sensitive and can and does activate for a variety of reasons.

With the above in mind it is imperative to treat every activation as real hence the LAND ASAP on the ECAM however once on the ground it is equally important to use outside resources (fire service etc) to determine the next move.