PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Five Years Ago
Thread: Five Years Ago
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2012, 08:54
C130 Techie
Fat Albert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of the key qualities in a good leader are the willingness to take responsibility and to consider the consequences of his actions/decisions on his people.

Personal responsibility is something that seems to be sadly lacking at all levels in todays society.

I think that in todays RAF we often seem to be promoting people simply on their ability to do the job (which is of course very important) and before they have had sufficient time to properly learn the basic skills that will enable them to become effective leaders. Is 3 years as a JNCO really long enough for example.

You can be an effective manager based on your trade ability but leadership is about being effective when the unexpected happens or when things get difficult. This is the time when your people will be looking to you for guidance, where they will judge your perfomance and apply a degree ofrespect based on what they see.

Of course in the ever shrinking RAF there are fewer and fewer opportunities to learn these skills, fewer expeds, fewer courses and of course a decreased willingness to release people to take on these experiences. That said when the opportunities do arise it is often disappointing to see the lack of uptake, even when there is no cost and it is in work time. I am in the process of putting together a Staff Ride and it has been an uphill struggle to fill the 10 places available.

I don't know what its like in civvy street, I've another 3 years to wait before I find out. I do know that the RAF has changed almost beyond recognition since I started out 35 years ago and much of the change has not been for the best.