PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sooo, You Want to Fly for Korean Airlines Do You?
Old 7th Apr 2012, 15:06
Direct Bondi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have worked for both Korean Airlines and Air China. Korean Airlines treatment of foreign pilots is far better than at Air China. Air China has stolen foreign pilots salaries, sacked and left foreign pilots abandoned in PEK and attempted to destroy foreign pilots careers by writing defamatory references. KAL has never done any of these things.
Air China expats are always in confrontation with management who constantly and unilaterally change the terms of a previously agreed contract. The representing agencies do nothing but pander to Air China's arrogant directives. While at KAL I always had 8-10 days at home and positioned in business, more often in first class and was permitted to use the airport lounge.
China does not release all aircraft incident events to the world, preferring to sweep them under the carpet to save face. Admittedly, at KAL the CRM leaves a lot to be desired, but at Air China, not only is there no CRM, there is not even a CRM course!
So, you want to fly for Korean Airlines? Good luck to you, there are far worse places.
Did someone mention English proficiency? My last sim check at Air China was conducted via an English interpreter and I never encountered a KAL pilot with English "proficiency" as bad as this example:-