PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigeria whats going On..!!!
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2012, 14:48
Capt. Manuvar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nigeria, whats going on

I dont know why the usual suspects always come and derail Nigerian threads with their usual drivel.

Aero
Possible imminent mgmt take over by AMCON due to their massive debt. Rumor has it the fixed wing section may be closed down and merged with Arik. They currently seem to have trouble keeping the B737s in the air due maintenance. The rotary side is a shadow of its former self thanks to Caverton, etc.
Lost most of their first officers to Arik, the working environment there's "old school" and doesnt seem to be condusive for young people.
The Dash8 operation is down to maybe 1 machine, following the loss of contracts and a whole lot of crew to Top Brass

Allied Air
Still dragging the raggedy 727s through the skies on their DHL contracts. They wet lease MD11s from Avient for the heavy stuff.

Air Nigeria
They have been permanently advertising for crew for ages. The current ownership does not offer any comfort, no1 knows whether they r heading up or down. Lost lots and lotsa crew to Arik.

Air Taraba
Startup Operator currently has 1 EMB-145 sitting on the corporate ramp in abuja for proposed operation and are expecting another. The state governor who is a licensed pilot regualry flies himself in and out of jalingo airport even though I dont know if the airport has been certified for commercial ops.

Arik
Another carrier heavily indebted to AMCON. Rumors of a possible management shakeup. Maybe the waddling elephant may finally be tranformed into a prancing stallion. ABV-LHR canacelled due to the slot issue. A345s are to come on the 5N registered mid this year, crew recruitment in progress. There are plans for A330s but in their current state I doubt their gonna be getting any airframes anytime soon.

Associated
Still flying the EMB120s on some light routes. No sign of growth.

Caverton
Seems to have miraculously rising to the top of the food chain in the rotary world, thanks to some godfatherism. They also operate DHC6 on a corporate shuttle service for LNG between LOS and Bonny Island. They are expecting the -400s soon.

Chanchangi
"Chanch and the gang" hanging in there. Sustaining their operation with B737CL wet leased from Jordan Aviation.

DANA Air
MD83 operator. Passenger loads seem to be ok. Airplanes are gas guzzlers so i dont know how that translates on the financnial side of thing when they r competing with the likes of arik with fuel efficient machines. The seem to have lost a lot of crew too. Chief Pilot reportedly resigned/booted out/dunno. Anyway the position is up for grabs on major recruitment websites.

Dominion Air
Newly floated by a famous pastor. he has a CL604 which he has used for persnal use for some time. Acquired 1 B1900D from Wings Aviation. Proposed charter/scheduled operator? who knows?

FirstNation
They've never gotten to flying all 3 A320s at the same time. Recently commence operations into PHC. They have crewing issues mostly due to their policy of not type rating pilots. I wonder where they'll get crews with the kinda salaries been paid to A320 drivers in other parts of the world.

IRS
F100 operator. Struggling to pay salaries. Might get B737s in the near future.

Top Brass
A new entrant that was able to snatch lucrative oil contracts from Aero. Currently operting 2 ex Heli Malongo (Angola) DHC8-300s. Poached most of their crew from Aero and arik. They initially started with a not so sucessful foray into the executive charter market.

Wings Aviation
Operator 1 X B732 for cargo ops. seem to have sold their remaing B1900D to Dominion Air.

Corporate world
Generally most of the corporate ops dont seem to be kosher. lots of commercial ops on private certificates, no AOCs. NCAA looks the other way, it seems. VistaJet and Hangar8 seem to have substantial ops out of LOS and ABV. Most of the privately owned ops are on the foreign register (VP, VQ, M, and the infamous ZS).
The Barbados group operates out of Kaduna. I dont understand if they are a licensed AOC holder, charter operator or what. They are the agent for embraer in Nigeria. They operate at least 2 Legacies, 1 HS125 and 1 Lr45. The owner seems to be winning all avaition awards in nigeria. But that means nothing since most of those on trial/in jail in nigeria were award winners in their various fields.
There another Learjet operator out of abuja using German registered LR40/45/60s. I also dont know if they have an AOC.
Some hangars have sprung up in LOS. Caverton, Evergreen Apple (owned by the NCAA DG), Dominion Air and 1 other. I believe the concept is to have fully fledged FBOs but as with most things Naija i dont think they realised the technical capabilities required. so they are no more than glorfied parking stands.

That"s all I got for now.