PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC Killing the INDUSTRY!! eJ, Monarch, Thomson and ????
Old 5th Apr 2012, 17:06
BlackandBrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alycidon, check again.

OM-B 2.69

For crosswind takeoffs, routine use of into-wind aileron is not recommended. In strong crosswind conditions, small amounts of lateral control may be used to maintain wings level, but the pilot should avoid using excessive amounts. This causes excessive spoiler deployment, which increases the aircraft tendency to turn into wind.

FCTM-NO-50 p1/8:

For crosswind takeoffs, routine use of into wind aileron is not necessary. In strong crosswind conditions, small lateral stick input may be used to maintain wings level, if deemed necessary due to into wind wing reaction, but avoid using large deflections, which increase the aircraft tendency to turn into the wind (due to high weight on wheels on the spoiler extended side), reduces lift and increases drag. Spoiler deflection becomes significant with more than a third sidestick deflection.
From Airbus safety bulletin:

http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/medi..._DEP-SEQ06.pdf

In the case of crosswind, the flight crew should minimize lateral inputs on ground and during rotation, in order to avoid spoilers extension. If the spoilers are extended on one wing, there is a reduction in lift combined with an increase of drag, and therefore, a reduction in tail clearance and an increased risk of tailstrike.
I could go on listing them but they ALL recommend, outside of STRONG crosswind conditions, not to use into wind aileron. As the SFO has a crosswind limitation which would not fall into the category of strong crosswind (below 25kts) he or she is correct the he or she would not use any in to wind aileron on a crosswind take off.

In fact, I'm not sure I've flown with anyone in the last 3 or 4 years who has used any into wind aileron at all either on takeoff or on landing.
That's because they are following the procedure and this demonstrates the great training, high standards and quality of information we are provided with.

If you don't mind I'll rely on airbus and easyJets recommendations rather than an incorrect anonymity on pprune. As always be extremely careful about what you believe on pprune. And I mean no offence by that.

Poose do the CTC ATP scheme then - if you cant beat them join them.

Last edited by BlackandBrown; 5th Apr 2012 at 17:22.