PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sooo, You Want to Fly for Korean Airlines Do You?
Old 4th Apr 2012, 11:51
Keylime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel its no use worrying about the "traveling public" because
there will always be Joe Qs and their families who will still opt
with KE no matter how appalling its record. The 1990s proved
that conclusively - its all about airfares and convenience.
Slasher:

What is even more amazing to me is that DoD (U. S. Department of Defense) books U.S. military and their dependents on KAL. As for the English, the only reason most of the KAL pilots have a Level 4 or better is because they have the profiles for the EngRish test. There was a very well known language company who walked away from a $5 million contract with KAL because they wouldn't allow KAL to administer the language test. Their reputation was more important than the contract. KAL now administers the test and NO ONE fails. An acquaintance at KAL was telling me about when he was safety pilot out of SFo-ICN. The captain had a level 5 on his license but after every ATC communication the F/O would respond in English and then translate to the captain in korean. Not one word of English was spoken on the flight deck by the captain. Gentlemen and ladies, they are flying in your airspace. The FAA knows of the problem and does nothing. Very political subject. Lose your life but don't lose face.